05:04 Conversation with Nobilis (second half)
– Nobilis: I think change happens best in quiet, personal conversations, not in vast impersonal media.
– DDog: I tend to agree, but I don’t think that is the only tool available. Big media can act as a starting point for the smaller conversations as well.
– Nobilis: If you’re saying the proper reaction to these problematic works is to have conversations with friends about the issues, then I’m all for it.
– DDog: Some people do best with emotional angles, some do best with logical angles, some people like to be the reasonable person at the table, and some do their best work shouting in the streets.
– Nobilis: Shouting just entrenches people in the ideas they already had. Subtlety is much more effective. Martin Luther King succeeded where Malcolm X didn’t because he never used the language of conflict.
– DDog: Do you think you would pay as much attention to the people who are speaking quietly if there weren’t someone across the street shouting at you? King’s message may not have been as well-received if it did not stand in contrast to the Black Panthers’ and others’ messages of conflict and separation.
– Nobilis: You have the people on the outside pushing, and the people on the inside taking off the brakes?
– DDog: Playing the extremes agains the middle works well from many angles.
– Nobilis: Do movements actually plan that out?
– DDog: Genderbitch breaks activist strategies down into Nukers, Appeasers, Logic Bombers, and Emoters. Many people have a preferred style, which can make them distrust the others. I see each of these styles as important and effective in different ways.
– Nobilis: I appreciate the understanding on your part to meet me where I was on these questions. I learned a lot, especially about shouting.
31:04 Promo for Scouts in print
31:53 Contact information and closing
Scouts, by Nobilis Reed (free sample!)
Nobilis Erotica and @Nobilis on Twitter
The Casting Game
Activist Modus Operandi: Methods of Communication by Recursive Paradox at Genderbitch: Musings of a Trans Chick